|Published||November 25, 2023|
The Kapor Center
The Kapor Center, headquartered in Oakland, CA is a family of three organizations: SMASH, Kapor Foundation, and Kapor Capital. Together, the Kapor Center aims to enhance diversity and inclusion in the technology and entrepreneurship ecosystem through increasing access to tech and STEM education programs, conducting research on access and opportunity in computing, investing in community organizations and gap-closing social ventures, building diverse and inclusive companies, and increasing access to capital among diverse entrepreneurs.
About Kapor Capital
Kapor Capital is an early stage venture capital firm based in Oakland, CA that invests predominantly in pre-seed and seed stage information technology companies whose core business simultaneously generates strong economic value and positive social impact. Specifically, we look for companies that are addressing the lack of access and opportunity for underserved communities especially low-income communities and/or communities of color, or are bringing about the disruptive democratization of a sector. Investment sectors include, but are not limited to: education, financial inclusion, health, employment, and justice. Kapor Capital has more than 120 companies in its portfolio, including Twilio, Ginger, Aclima, Career Karma, Numerade Blocpower, and Promise.
As the Digital Marketing Manager, you will drive the execution of our marketing goals 1.) to increase visibility and engagement with various audiences and 2.) create a larger digital footprint in the tech, venture capital, DEIB, and social justice ecosystem. In addition to overseeing day-to-day marketing (social media, growth, engagement, etc.), other duties include increasing social/digital reach, and brand awareness, streamlining the use of internal tech tools, campaign/initiative, and event project management, and leveraging the ability to apply research strategies and findings to amplify the impact of our collective work related to diversity and inclusion in the technology industry.
While this position will provide support across all of the different Kapor Center organizations, the primary focus of this role will be supporting Kapor Capital, the venture capital firm.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with the Sr. Director of Marketing and Communications and the Kapor Capital team to develop and implement a comprehensive strategic marketing plan for Kapor Capital.
- Develop and test new and compelling ways to tell the story of our work and the communities we serve through various marketing strategies (social, email, in-person activations, etc)
- Manage Kapor Capital social media channels, including strategy development
- Monitor, analyze, and report on impact (e.g. ROI) related to digital media engagement strategy; develop KPIs and metrics for tracking website traffic, email marketing, downloads, video clicks, followers, and social media engagement.
- Monitoring our web presence to ensure functionality and a positive user experience on Kapor web properties for kaporcapital.com, performing basic WordPress updates as needed.
- Build, grow, and optimize email marketing/listservs for branded communication with Kapor audiences (Active Campaign, Mailchimp).
- Provide additional support for the Senior Director of Marketing and Communications and the Communications team as needed.
Qualifications and Skills
The Digital Marketing Manager will have:
- 3-5+ years of relevant experience with knowledge of marketing and communications practices within the tech startup/venture-backed ecosystem. 1-2 years working in VC preferred but not required.
- The ideal candidate has work experience and is passionate about marketing, venture capital and impact investing
- Ability to produce high-quality and engaging content and iterate to continue to achieve success
- Understanding of emerging tech, marketing, and comms trends, best practices, tools/platforms
- A strong racial/social justice lens and commitment to serving communities of color
- Superior written and oral communication skills. Ability to communicate effectively to all levels of the organization and to the larger technology community.
- A demonstrable track record of building brand reputation, and influence through marketing and communications
- Strong internal ‘client’ focus; customer service attitude
- Strong interpersonal skills track record of agility, and adaptability in navigating uncertainty and ambiguity in fast-paced, dynamic environments
- High level of responsiveness and timeliness for the execution of work
- Design experience (Canva, Illustrator, Photoshop) is required
- Proficient in all social channel platforms including Instagram, Facebook, Twitter (X), Linkedin, and YouTube as well as emerging channels
- Skill/knowledge in video production, web design/maintenance, Adobe Creative Suite, Asana, email marketing tools, Google Suite, and HD camera operation
- Exceptional creative thinking ability and the desire to come up with innovative ways to share our message
We are seeking candidates with a personal commitment to fairness, social justice, and innovation--values that are embedded in our culture. We are committed to representation and inclusion, and we welcome applicants with diverse perspectives and backgrounds.
If you would like to share work samples or a portfolio, please attach them to your resume when filling out your application
The compensation range for this position is $95,000 - $105,000. We offer a competitive health benefits package.
In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination/ harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/ domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination/ harassment based on "protected categories," Kapor Capital also strives to prevent other, subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (e.g., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at Kapor Capital.